Orthodontics is an area of dentistry that involves the treatment of dental and facial irregularities. It is the science of assessing; diagnosing and treating crooked teeth, jaw discrepancies, facial profile and form.
Who would benefit from Orthodontic treatment:
- Are your teeth noticeably crooked?
- Do you have gaps between your teeth?
- Are your teeth crowded?
- Do you have protruding teeth?
- Do you have a deep overbite (front teeth overlapping too much vertically) or an open bite (where some teeth cannot be brought into contact?).
- Do you have difficulty chewing food?
- As part of dental management to facilitate replacement of missing teeth for example with dental implants.
- Finally, if you are reluctant to smile, laugh or even talk in public without hiding your teeth, it is time to consider Orthodontic correction.
Am I too old for Orthodontics?
The correction of an Orthodontic problem can be undertaken at any age. Adult Orthodontic treatment is growing rapidly. It is generally recommended that children should be brought in for their first evaluation at ages 7 to 9 years.
Benefits of Orthodontics
The main aim of Orthodontic treatment is to create straight teeth that look great! This will help you feel good about your appearance, thus improving your confidence and self esteem. Just as important as looking great is a healthy environment in which your teeth with good care can last a lifetime.
Types of braces
Metal braces – Metal braces are the most common type and they are made of high grade stainless steel. Today's metal braces are smaller, more comfortable, and more attractive.
Ceramic Braces – Ceramic braces are made of translucent (clear) material. They are most popular with adult patients, due to their cosmetic appeal.
Invisalign braces – Invisalign is driven by advanced 3-D computer technology producing a series of customized plastic "Aligners" that gradually reposition the teeth.
Incognito lingual braces – Incognito lingual braces is a modern and invisible alternative to conventional braces. Lingual braces are a new generation of braces for people of all ages. The bracket bases are contoured to hug the inside surfaces of your teeth giving optimal comfort, fit and performance and are virtually invisible to anyone else. They are created using state of the art technology and are completely customised to the shape of the teeth.